Archive for March 2013

Wildflower hike in Sipsey Wilderness, April 6

Thompson Creek Trail (Sipsey Wilderness Trail #206) Bankhead National Forest, Alabama Leader:  Botanist Kevin England Distance:  5 miles, round trip Rating:  Moderately challenging Meet-up time:  9:30 a.m. Meet-up location:  Warrior Mountains Trading Company 11312 AL Hwy 33, Moulton, AL All ages welcome Group size is strictly limited to 10.  Advance sign-up is required.   To sign…

Read More

Get Active! Volunteer with Wild South at Asheville Earth Day

April 20, 2013  – Wild  South is honored to be the nonprofit sponsor partner of Asheville Earth Day! We are happy to be part of making the annual event nearly zero waste and rooted to our community organizations and actions!  This year features The Infamous Stringdusters, Ruby Velle and the Soulphonics, the Ecovillage and kids…

Read More

Flyfishing Clinic with Tennessee Wild

  The March 2013 women’s full day fly fishing clinic  was a home run!  With Big thanks to R & R Fly Fishing, we had a full clinic and a great time with friend, fish and fellowship. We expect to run another clinic this fall open to men and women, continuing to connect people to…

Read More

Conservation Award winners announced at 5th Annual Green Gala

ASHEVILLE, NC –Regional group announces Conservation Award winners at 5th Annual Green Gala. Wild South announced today the winners for its annual Roosevelt-Ashe Conservation Awards. The awards honor outstanding conservation work in the South. “These awards recognize present day conservation heroes for their contributions to protect wild places and wild things across our region” said…

Read More

VWR Job Description

Volunteer Wilderness Ranger Job Description The purpose of a Volunteer Wilderness Ranger is primarily to provide visitor information and education, and secondarily to perform trail maintenance and other wilderness stewardship services.  Therefore, it is imperative that the Volunteer Wilderness Rangers  (in teams of at least two) be in the wilderness areas when the majority of…

Read More

Restoration Monitoring Tour, March 27

Restoration Monitoring Tour Bankhead National Forest Wild South, the Bankhead Liaison Panel and the Bankhead District of the US Forest Service will be conducting this year’s first restoration monitoring tour on Wednesday, March 27.  As always, the public is invited to join our restoration monitoring team for this field tour of several different monitoring sites…

Read More

Bankhead National Forest hike, March 30

First hikes of Springtime! Saturday, March 30  9:00 a.m. Warrior Mountains Trading Company Group size is limited, advance sign-up required: e-mail us or 256-974-6166. Two hikes to choose from! Sipsey Wilderness Trail #203 (The Lookout Trail) Leader:  Julia Bright Distance:  3.75 – 4 miles roundtrip Rating:  Moderate All ages Beginning at the curved bridge on…

Read More

Kill the Drill Talking Points

The Case Against Drilling on our National Forests Historical: The 2004 Revised Land and Resource Management Plan (RLRMP) for National Forests in Alabama makes available for mineral leasing 543,047 acres, or 81.4% of Alabama’s national forests. Combined with the 12% of national forest land on which the mineral rights are privately held, this totals 93.4%…

Read More

Volunteer Work Day in Sipsey Wilderness, March 16

Saturday, March 16 8:30 a.m. at the Wild South office Sign up at janice@wildsouth.org or 256-974-6166 This may be our last chance until next fall to pull Chinese privet before leaves emerge, so we will continue our work on the Thompson Creek trail (#206).  We will hike in 2.5 miles, carrying all our hand tools, weed…

Read More