- This event has passed.
How to Navigate the Sipsey Wilderness
November 24, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Continue the fall hiking season with a class on map reading and wilderness navigation! Your safety depends on this!
Have you ever wondered what those funny lines and symbols are on a topographic map?
Do you feel you could safely navigate the Sipsey Wilderness if you were lost?
Would you like to hone your map reading skills and learn how to navigate specifically within the Sipsey Wilderness?
Join Wild South staff and volunteers for an afternoon of learning and then venture off to the Sipsey Wilderness for a brief test of your newly acquired skills.
After this class you should be able to:
- Understand a topographic map
- Become aware of basic methods of wilderness navigation
- Understand the unique terrain of the Sipsey Wilderness and surrounding Bankhead National Forest
- What to do if you find yourself lost or turned around in the Sipsey Wilderness
- Know where and how to access all 7 Sipsey Wilderness trailheads
- Understand the difference between a system and user made trail
When: Sunday, November 24
Time: 10 am until 3pm
Where: Wild South office on the square in downtown Moulton followed by a short hike in the Bankhead National Forest.
What to bring: Dress as if you were going on a day hike. All other supplies and materials will be provided.
Cost: suggested donation is $25 You can pay online at DONATE Use the designation code “navigateALOE” Cost for the class goes towards Wild South’s Alabama Outreach & Education Fund
Limit: 10 (we will split into two groups when visiting the wilderness if necessary)
Contact: For questions contact Kim Waites at email@example.com
- November 24, 2019
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Event Category:
- Bankhead National Forest
- Event Tags:
- bankhead national forest, navigation, Sipsey wilderness
- Kim Waites
- View Organizer Website
- 552 Lawrence street, Moulton, Alabama
552 Lawrence Street
Moulton, AL 35650 United States + Google Map